BlueHeron

pearl wrote:
> "Blue Heron" > wrote in message news >
>>pearl wrote:

<snip>
>>>Doesn't 'vegetarian' in the UK, simply mean those who
>>>abstain from meat, as in 'lacto-ovo-vegetarians', (whilst in
>>>the US, 'vegetarian' means what we call 'vegan')? Maybe
>>>we should just call nursing babies, of any species, 'lactarians'?
>>>(There's probably already an accepted definition, though .

<snip>
>>Vegetarian in both the UK and North America genereally refers to ovo
>>lacto vegetarianism. Sometimes in North America (particularly in French
>>Canada and the midwest) vegetarian is considered pisca/pollatarian,
>>which makes it a pain in the ass, but never has it gone the other way,
>>where vegetarian is considered vegan/strict-vegetarian.

> I've somehow gathered otherwise. .. Thanks for the clarification.

If only it were so! Then I wouldn't have to deal with the "Would you
like some of xxxx, we made it just for you!" followed by the "What do
you mean that you don't eat fish/chicken?" Curse the Catholic
definition of "meat".

I still haven't been able to make it 100% clear to my in-laws who live
in back-water Quebec that I am a "vegetalien". I don't think that they
know the word. To add to the trouble, they don't like it when my wife
and I cook in their kitchen (I think that they don't like to feel like
their guests are having to take care of themselves or something of that
ilk...). Even worse then that is trying to get my step-mother-in-law
(how is that for a title?) to try the food that I cook. It's usually
too "ethnic" for her *sigh*.

I do understand that in parts of India and the Mediterranean
"vegetarian" usually refers to lacto vegetarianism, as eggs are
generally not consumed by vegetarians there.

Yeesh. Look at that mini rant? Where, or where did it come from? :P

Cheers,

-- Blue