RJP

Abouna wrote:

> My father (a diabetic) has recently discovered the benefits of green
> tea and has asked me to research it. I must admit I have found this
> quite daunting. I too am interested in green tea but where to start?
> I figured this would be the best place.
>
> Though I have found several places that sell green tea I have found
> nothing about qulities and quantities. For instance:
>
> - What about quality? Are the green teas in bags at the supermarket
> beneficial? If not, where to start with price in mind? I see many
> teas selling for $30 for a few grams. This seems impossible
> practically speaking for 2 people to maintain.

I don't see why the green tea bags in the supermarket would not have
similar health benefits to tea from other sources. But then again,
I haven't seen any studies.

There is no way you need to spend $30 for a few grams of tea to
get good green tea. I buy many teas - greens included - for something
in the neighborhood of $0.05 (5 cents) per gram, or about $25 per
pound (1 pound is about 455 grams). This isn't all that much more
than what standard grocery store bags cost, and it tastes a lot better.

I like the online vendor Upton teas (www.uptontea.com). Huge selection,
and a good selection of greens, many of which are modestly priced.
They also let you by samples for $1 or $1.50 each, which is very nice.

> - Quantity? How many cups does an ounce of green tea powder or leaves
> make/ I am trying to see how inexpensively this can be done.

A general rule of thumb is about 2.25 grams per 6 oz. cup of tea.
2.25 grams is roughly one teaspoon in volume, depending on how dense
the leaves are. I drink tea in 12 oz. mugs and infuse about 2 teaspoons
of leaf for that much.

More important rule: NEVER INFUSE GREEN TEA IN BOILING WATER!!! This
will result in a very harsh infusion. Most greens infuse best below 180
degrees F; some as low as 150 degrees F or even lower. An easy way to
do this is to boil the water, pour it into the pot or mug, let it stand
for 3-4 minutes, and then infuse. Don't infuse too long - most greens
infuse well around 2-3 minutes but some are better even shorter.

> I am interested firstly in the health benefits and secondly in the
> taste/pleasure aspect.

OK. Know that many studies have found health benefits from all kinds
of tea (black, oolong, green, etc.) as long as it is made from the
tea plant.

Randy