Digger

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:13:13 +0100, "pearl" > wrote:

>"Digger" > wrote in message ...

>> > That's actually a good definition (if quite wordy- try explaining that to
>> >anybody when they ask you what a vegan is), but if you just changed "animal
>> >milk" to "nonhuman animal milk", it would be flawless.

>> I'm afraid not, because making human milk an exception
>> to the rule leaves the way clear for any man to regard
>> himself as a vegan while nourishing himself on it. Vegan
>> mothers must start being content with the hard fact that
>> their suckling babe is neither a vegetarian or a vegan.
>>
>> There's nothing ugly or wrong in feeding a child naturally
>> with mothers milk and having a non-vegan in the family,
>> and those who want to assume there is and go so far as
>> to pretend that the milk they give it is a vegetarian food
>> are wrong and simply deluding themselves.

>Doesn't 'vegetarian' in the UK, simply mean those who
>abstain from meat, as in 'lacto-ovo-vegetarians', (whilst in
>the US, 'vegetarian' means what we call 'vegan')?

I'm not sure. The term 'vegetarian' has become so lose
now that one could nourish themselves almost entirely
on animal products these days and still qualify as one.

The ideal would be that vegetarians feed exclusively
on vegetation while vegans do the same and abstain
from animal derived products such as leather etc.

>Maybe
>we should just call nursing babies, of any species, 'lactarians'?

I was hoping you'd come up with the correct definition.
I haven't a clue what to call them, apart from non-
vegetarians and non-vegans, but that seems to upset
a lot of people.

>(There's probably already an accepted definition, though .

Googling .....