Digger

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:24:45 GMT, "John Coleman" > wrote:
>"Digger" > wrote in message news
>>
>> No, I'm not implying anything like that. The mother, if vegan
>> remains a vegan by virtue of her diet and lifestyle. The baby,
>> however, cannot be said to be a vegan or even a vegetarian
>> while it gains nourishment from animal derived products such
>> as human breast milk.

>Pure rubbish - the milk is given voluntarily, not through "exploitation".

Cows milk can be given up quite voluntarily without any
exploitation involved at all. In fact you may even be relieving
her of a huge excess of it and helping her. If you disqualify
foods as vegan fare on the basis of exploitation rather than it
being an animal product, you then have no rational basis on
which to disqualify milk sourced from a well treated an
content cow.

>Digger, accept that your version of "veganism" is your own, and not the
>original version.

The original version says nothing of human breast milk. In
fact it makes it quite plain that all animal milk must be
avoided.
"It applies to the practice of living on the products of the
plant kingdom to the exclusion of flesh, fish, fowl, eggs,
honey, animal milk and its derivatives, and encourages
the use of alternatives for all commodities derived wholly
or in part from animals."
http://www.vegsource.com/jo/essays/namegame.htm