pearl

"Digger" > wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 00:54:35 +0100, "pearl" > wrote:

<..>

> >> Then you must allow all diary users to announce themselves
> >> as vegan.

> >> And where, in any of that does it conclude milk to be
> >> a vegan source of nourishment?

> >Human breast milk doesn't involve exploitation of animals.

> Nevertheless, milk is not a vegan source of nourishment.
> True vegans abstain from all animal products, including
> milk.

You're not implying that a vegan parent who breastfeeds their baby
isn't a 'true vegan', but that the baby of said vegans is 'vegetarian'?

> >> They avoid animal products for other reasons apart from
> >> its exploitative component. "It applies to the practice
> >> of living on the products of the plant kingdom to the
> >> exclusion of flesh, fish, fowl, eggs, honey, animal milk and
> >> its derivatives, and encourages the use of alternatives for
> >> all commodities derived wholly or in part from animals."
> >> http://www.vegsource.com/jo/essays/namegame.htm

> >'Animal milk' here, would not include human breast milk.

> Yes, it would. Humans are animals, and animal milk is a
> non-vegan food source. Vegan mothers who believe their
> infants are also vegan are badly mistaken.

I'd call a suckling baby 'vegetarian', myself. But 'veganism'
does not seek to prohibit or exclude breast milk, being as
it is, the best food for babies. It was that superficial kind of
understanding that led to the baby Swinton (sp?) case. Yes?