Joseph Kubera

There are many good greens out there that don't need amelioration with sugar or
milk, and would suffer from it. For a newbie I would advise staying away from
a couple of staples of ye corner tea shoppe such as Young Hyson and Gunpowder
and Sow Mee, which tend to be quite bitter or lackluster.

You should be able to find a green that suits you within five to 10 samples
from a reliable seller. After all, there are hundreds of different ones,
though they fall into fairly distinct categories. Also remember that greens
are fragile and lose freshness rapidly...part of the reason for finding a good
retailer.

I hesitate to recommend specific teas, but since the OP said price was a factor
-- two greens that I have found remarkably good, consistent and inexpensive are
Everyday Green from Imperial Tea Court (via internet) and Stir Fried Greens
from Silk Road (via phone/mail order). For something with a headier sweet
aroma, Lin Yun White Down from SpecialTeas (my memory from a year ago).

Best,
Joe Kubera