Posted to alt.food.sushi
Leaonard Land Leaonard Land is offline

Default I don't like chopsticks

On Monday, 15 February 2021 at 09:22:41 UTC-7, Wilson wrote:
> On 2/14/2021 2:20 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> > On 7/28/2019 8:44 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> >> On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 20:54:41 -0700 (PDT), "....................."

> >> I'm subscribed to 17 newsgroups, including this one. Well over half of
> >> them, including this one, are almost completely inactive, and several
> >> others are almost completely inactive. There's no downside to keeping
> >> their subscriptions active, so I do, just in case something of
> >> interest turns up.
> >>
> >> How quickly I respond to a post in any newsgroup depends on when it
> >> was posted and when I check the newsgroups. If it turns out to be
> >> right away, it's just a coincidence.

> > It's now two years later and I still haven't seen any other posts.
> >
> > Are you still here? Anyone else? Anyone (besides me) still eating sushi?
> >
> > Just in case anyone else is here, I'll try to start a thread.
> >
> > What kind of sushi do you eat? Just maki (rolls)? Nigiri? Or both? Or
> > chirashi (although that seems to be the least common in the USA)?
> >
> > Personally, I eat nigiri and gunkan maki almost exclusively, but to most
> > Americans, sushi seems to be exclusively maki these days. The one kind of
> > maki that I like and sometimes order is salmon skin temaki (hand roll).
> >
> > My favorite nigiri are (in no particular order)
> >
> > Maguro
> > Sake
> > Hamachi
> > Madai
> > Aji
> > Sawara
> > Saba
> > Mirugai
> > Amaebi (with the deep-fried heads served separately)
> > Tako
> > Ika
> > Uni (really gunkan maki, not nigiri)
> > Ikura (also gunkan maki)
> > Unagi
> > Hotategai
> >
> > I never order all of those at one meal. They're not always all available,
> > and besides, with two of each, it would be too much to eat and would cost
> > too much.
> >

> Hi, Ken. This group has calmed down a lot. Had a rash of trolls for a while.
> And so many young people don't know a thing about newsgroups. I haven't had
> Sushi since mid 2020 due to COVID-19.
>
> On another note, I will be picking up a gallon, 9 lbs. @ $13/lb., of fresh,
> ocean scallops later on today. It's the last day of the season here in Wash.
> Cty., Maine.
>
> We got a quart last Friday, ate several that night raw and 3 more 'biscuits'
> for Sat. breakfast, raw with a bit of homemade Ponzu.
>
> Last night, I used my new Christmas toy and sous vide cooked some scallops
> and 2 chuck eye steaks for the wife and I. Best scallops I've ever had
> cooked. 30 mins. at 120°F. Then a quick bounce in a scorching pan with
> browned butter and a touch of Sherry. Steaks were 1.25" thick, so 1.5 hrs..
> at 122°F and then into a scorching dry frying pan on our wood stove for 1
> more minute per side.

> [...]

Many years ago i used to ride my bike over to Orchard Beach in the Bronx to go fishing. On the way sometimes I'd stop at a fish market to buy bait. Once i bought scallops and they looked so good that i ate them raw and they were delicious, way better than cooked and way better than the fish i was trying to catch. I don't know how safe that was - probably not very. I was very rarely served with raw scallops in sushi joints. I remember only once in a restaurant in Orange County, CA that specialized in chirashi.

werewolf