Old 28-02-2021, 04:53 AM posted to alt.food.sushi
Leaonard Land Leaonard Land is offline

Default I don't like chopsticks

On Tuesday, 16 February 2021 at 08:46:00 UTC-7, Wilson wrote:
On 2/15/2021 12:21 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
On 2/15/2021 9:22 AM, Wilson wrote:
On 2/14/2021 2:20 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
On 7/28/2019 8:44 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 20:54:41 -0700 (PDT), "....................."
wrote:

Actually, Ken, I am amazed that you are still on here and responded
right away to my new post...because it has been almost twenty years
since anybody posted on this thread!!!

I'm subscribed to 17 newsgroups, including this one. Well over half of
them, including this one, are almost completely inactive, and several
others are almost completely inactive. There's no downside to keeping
their subscriptions active, so I do, just in case something of
interest turns up.

How quickly I respond to a post in any newsgroup depends on when it
was posted and when I check the newsgroups. If it turns out to be
right away, it's just a coincidence.

It's now two years later and I still haven't seen any other posts.

Are you still here? Anyone else? Anyone (besides me) still eating sushi?

Just in case anyone else is here, I'll try to start a thread.

What kind of sushi do you eat? Just maki (rolls)? Nigiri? Or both? Or
chirashi (although that seems to be the least common in the USA)?

Personally, I eat nigiri and gunkan maki almost exclusively, but to most
Americans, sushi seems to be exclusively maki these days. The one kind of
maki that I like and sometimes order is salmon skin temaki (hand roll).

My favorite nigiri are (in no particular order)

Maguro
Sake
Hamachi
Madai
Aji
Sawara
Saba
Mirugai
Amaebi (with the deep-fried heads served separately)
Tako
Ika
Uni (really gunkan maki, not nigiri)
Ikura (also gunkan maki)
Unagi
Hotategai

I never order all of those at one meal. They're not always all available,
and besides, with two of each, it would be too much to eat and would cost
too much.

Hi, Ken. This group has calmed down a lot.

Yes, but more than a *lot*. It's had zero posts.

Had a rash of trolls for a while.
And so many young people don't know a thing about newsgroups.

Yes, most young people these days have never even heard of newsgroups.

I still participate in a bunch of newsgrops, a few of which are fairly active.

I haven't had
Sushi since mid 2020 due to COVID-19.

On another note, I will be picking up a gallon, 9 lbs. @ $13/lb., of fresh,
ocean scallops later on today. It's the last day of the season here in Wash.
Cty., Maine.

Back when I lived in a suburb of NYC, I used to go to Maine every summer for
almost 30 years--mostly to Boothbay Harbor, where we sailed. I don't
remember ever being in Washington, but it's possible that I was.

We're way Downeast, next stop Canada.

It's now about 30 years since I was last in Maine.

We got a quart last Friday, ate several that night raw and 3 more 'biscuits'
for Sat. breakfast, raw with a bit of homemade Ponzu.

Last night, I used my new Christmas toy and sous vide cooked some scallops
and 2 chuck eye steaks for the wife and I. Best scallops I've ever had
cooked. 30 mins. at 120°F. Then a quick bounce in a scorching pan with
browned butter and a touch of Sherry. Steaks were 1.25" thick, so 1.5 hrs.
at 122°F and then into a scorching dry frying pan on our wood stove for 1
more minute per side.

Sound great!

Take care and we'll see if you raised anyone else from the dead.

I hope so, but it's not very likely

We shall see!

Hi, Ken and all!

"What kind of sushi do you eat? Just maki (rolls)? Nigiri? Or both? Or
chirashi (although that seems to be the least common in the USA)?"

Chirashi used to be my #1 favorite. I say used to be because I've hardly eaten raw fish for quite a few years now ever since I stuffed myself at the Todai buffet in Westminster CA and got sick, plus i don't eat so much seafood anymore as i deem it a gout trigger and i might or might not have gout.

werewolf