Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Graham Graham is offline

Default Deli rye

On 2021-02-23 1:59 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 13:24:11 -0700, Graham > wrote:
>
>> On 2021-02-23 1:01 p.m., Graham wrote:
>>> I decided to make the Old-school, Deli Rye bread from "The Rye Baker" by
>>> Stanley Ginsberg, despite some glaring errors in the description.
>>> I had to make the rye sour first, which took about a week. Then followed a
>>> 2 stage sponge and a final dough with the addition of white bread flour and
>>> caraway seeds with a small amount of yeast.
>>> Although the sour demanded whole grain rye flour, the recipe called for
>>> white or light rye flour, neither of which was readily obtainable. I
>>> therefore had to use Rogers dark rye, a widely available flour. Of course,
>>> that meant that I had to fiddle with the hydration a bit.
>>> I was expecting a smooth-crusted loaf with little oven spring like the deli
>>> ryes produced by local bakeries. However, the spring was marked and the
>>> result looked mor like conventional, wheat-based, artisan loaves.
>>> Still, the flavour is good with a noticeable sour note and the crumb is
>>> also OK.
>>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/G1YmCrW
>>>

>> I had to adjust the hydration a bit but the final bakers' % from the
>> recipe we
>> White bread flour 482g 60.71%
>> Rye flour 312g 39,29%
>> Water 554g 69.77%
>> salt 17g 2.14%
>> Instant yeast 4g 0.5%
>> Caraway 14g 1,79%
>> Rye sour culture 14g 1.79%
>>
>> I haven't checked these figures and they may be incorrect judging by the
>> poor level of proof reading!

> Your rye flour is key to it all. As I recall, the final dough is
> somewhat sticky. How was yours?
> The second sponge had the consistency of heavy clay!! It was supposed

to be looser so I added water at that stage - perhaps a bit too much as
I had to add 50g of white flour in the final mix.
It started out sticky but was quite smooth after kneading. That may have
been the result of my fiddling with the hydration and adding the small
amount of flour.
BTW, I just checked and the weights used to calculate the percentages
don't all match with those in the recipe! Another lapse in proof reading.