View Single Post
  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.sourdough
external usenet poster

Default Blisters on surface

My first post and such quick replies!
Just a bit about me...have been interested in fermented foods for quite sometime, reading and experimenting on my own. Main conclusion is that capitalism has really screwed us over and the vast majority of us on this planet have lost the knowledge for preparing food properly. Last month I returned to eating bread/gluten after about a two year hiatus. After re-eating it I can say my body has had mixed results. I do feel a sense of unwanted heaviness and my teeth sometimes bother me now, however, I feel I'm satiating whatever bacteria/bugs rely on nutrients/fibers I was missing. If you don't give the bugs what they want they will eat at your intestinal lining.
I'm not the most experienced baker, and I find myself most interested in how to make bread the MOST nutritious as it could possibly be. I usually just mix water, starter, flour, then let it autolyse for a bit (an hour or so), then add salt/add ins and then do some folds. I don't do much kneading now as I've found the folding process is decent. After reading some articles Im now even questioning the kneading process most people use. I'd like to read more on the most effective way to develop the gluten. Most surprising is that my 2 month old starter is transforming my dough in such a way that I think is causing really good gluten development and that includes the creation of a TON of small bubbles. I made naan the other day and it appeared to have a ton of large warts! I'm not really retarding at low temperatures. I leave it out at room temperature and it dips to about 65 F over night. Read mixed reviews online about blisters but based on how I seem to be digesting the bread, I think it might be a good thing. Unfortunately people can be hung up on aesthetic aspects of food, again due to capitalism and pleasing customers. Warty bread may look strange but I'm thinking it might be a good sign of fermentation. I have also heard my dough "singing" or making tons of the crackling noises upon removal from the oven, which I understand is also a good sign of properly made bread.
Essene bread will be my next exploration, but the thought of eating bread that has simply been dehydrated at low temperature seems a bit scary. I'm just more on the search of what bread SHOULD be. I can say that my body doesnt seem to digest bread made with lots of fat, ie the panettone, as I think the fat disrupts proper development of gluten..might be a better choice to add fat to bread after that process has been achieved, or use a method like what's involved in making croissants. Anyhow, I really could go on and on and on and on and on about this lol. But I'll stop here lor now. I've read through quite a few posts and would like to thank you all for your insight and information on the threads. I REALLY appreciate it.
Ideally I like using spelt bread but I have been using a mix of whole wheat and spelt lately. I also like sprouted spelt. Organic Whole wheat is what I've been using my starter.