Old 16-02-2021, 08:32 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default gift bottle

On 2/16/21 3:20 PM, RichD wrote:
You visit someone you haven't seen in a while,
and bring a bottle of wine, as a gift, or to share.
However, you don't know their tastes.

What to buy? I figure, everyone enjoys bubbly, therefore
cava or prosecco? (I'm on a sub-champagne budget)
Or a fruity, simple rose?

Suggestions?

Also, if intended for immediate intake, bring some
hors d'oeuvre? I'd stop at a deli, and pick up some
antipasto - or...

First of all, always give them the bottle with the expectation that they
won't open it, unless you've arranged beforehand to open it. I always
assume that it's a gift and plan accordingly. If you truly don't know
their tastes at all, it's a tough question. A lot of people don't like
truly dry wines, finding them too tart. I agree with you that Prosecco
seems like a safe choice (and, according to today's NY Times, soon there
will be rosé Prosecco on the market - win, win!)

Good luck,
Mark Lipton