Posted to alt.food.wine

Default gift bottle

On 2/16/21 3:20 PM, RichD wrote:
> You visit someone you haven't seen in a while,
> and bring a bottle of wine, as a gift, or to share.
> However, you don't know their tastes.
>
> What to buy? I figure, everyone enjoys bubbly, therefore
> cava or prosecco? (I'm on a sub-champagne budget)
> Or a fruity, simple rose?
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Also, if intended for immediate intake, bring some
> hors d'oeuvre? I'd stop at a deli, and pick up some
> antipasto - or...

First of all, always give them the bottle with the expectation that they
won't open it, unless you've arranged beforehand to open it. I always
assume that it's a gift and plan accordingly. If you truly don't know
their tastes at all, it's a tough question. A lot of people don't like
truly dry wines, finding them too tart. I agree with you that Prosecco
seems like a safe choice (and, according to today's NY Times, soon there
will be rosé Prosecco on the market - win, win!)

Good luck,
Mark Lipton