Peter Aitken

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:09:14 GMT in <KtC9d.53494$ci3.2850856
> @twister.southeast.rr.com>, (Peter Aitken) wrote :
>
> >I have raw shelled peanuts with the red skins still on them. Any ideas

how
> >to get the skins off easily?
> >

> If they're truly raw, the skins should be white to pale pink. If that's

the
> case, then treat them like a fava bean: blanch in boiling water and the
> skins will slip off no problem. If, OTOH, you're going to roast them, you
> don't need to do this, as below.
>
> If they're actually roasted, so the skins are red and papery rather than
> white/pink and spongy, then it's even easier. Simply squeeze the peanut
> between your fingers so that the nut squirts out, leaving the skin behind.
> It's dead simple and fast. A few skins may be a bit more persistent - you
> can rub these off. Take care of the easy cases first and then go back to
> rub the few skins that clung tenaciously.
> --

The peanuts I bought were labeled "raw" but had red skins, so I am a bit
confused. Anyway I roasted them in the oven, put them in a large glass jar,
shook violently to loosen the skins, then went outside and blew the loose
skins away. Didn;t get all of them but enough for my purpose.

--
Peter Aitken