Brian Mailman

Wcsjohn wrote:

> There is a very old strand of Christian thought that equates "leaven"
> (biological raising agents, commercial yeast or SD) with "corruption" and those
> who believe that association to be valid, will not eat bread raised by such a
> leaven.

It rather predates that by some centuries and involves a Jewish holiday
where leavened products are not eaten. There are some differing
opinions as to why, but one of the more mystical/mythical is having to
do with anagrams and the shape of one of the letters ... wait, I wrote
about this in a column, lemme look it up. Ah, here it is...
""Matzo/matzah" and "chametz" are anagrams (MTZH/KHMTZ) but with one
important difference. The Hebrew letter "hey," the last letter in
matzo/matzah _breaks_ its left leg in "chametz" to become "chet" or the
first letter of "chayt" or "sin." This tells us that sin is a broken
act...."

B/