View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Assyrtiko, Oregon Chardonnay, Crozes-Hermitage

On 12/11/20 12:31 PM, wrote:
> For last weeks Zoom call, Betsy made an Ottolenghi dish of shrimp and clams in tomato with feta, and we opened the 2017 Hatzidakis No. 15 Assyrtiko (Santorini). Luxury cuvee Assyrtiko, who knew? Actually quite tasty. Good acids, saline/seashell notes, citrus and peach fruits. Reminded me in a way of the long lees versions of Muscadet like Pepiere Clisson and L_P Excelsior. Ripe but still vibrant, long finish. I really enjoyed it, though It was about twice the price of Clisson, so maybe not a regular rebuy. B+
>
> After Marcus Goodfellow joined our Zoom group last month (we had one of his pinot noirs) a few of us wanted to try his whites, so split a couple of cases. My first taste was the 2018 Goodfellow Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay. Wow, was I impressed. When I think of Oregon chards made in a French style, I generally am thinking more Meursaultish. But this would make a great Chablis ringer- chalky, tangy, lemon and pear, long minerally finish. Pretty tasty from the start but opens up even more with air. B++

Marcus's wines are great. We routinely buy a case or 2 a year. Fun place
to go tasting as well if your in the McMinville area.
>
> With lamb neck braised with vegetables (mainly turnip), fennel/apple slaw, and Brussels sprouts, the 2003 Jaboulet €śThalabert€ť Crozes-Hermitage. I was surprised to run across this in cellar, I bought few "03 European reds. So I decided now is as good a time as any, and opened (with a little trepidation). My fears were partially born out, and partially unwarranted. The good news was it hadnt fallen apart at all- still plenty of fruit, decent finish. The bad news that it was quite pruney/stewy on the nose, very 2003. I forgot I had this , and now I dont need to think about it any more. B-/C+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
> drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
>