Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Garlic Potatoes on simmer at 12:23PM!

jmcquown wrote:

> On 12/5/2020 6:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Gary wrote:

> > > I used to have one of those years ago (it finally broke). Called a
> > > garlic bell, I think. Small clay dish with a rounded clay top.
> > > Cut the top off a head of garlic and slow roast for a bit.
> > >
> > > When done, just squeeze the bulb onto french or italian bread
> > > slices to make a nice mild garlic bread.

> > Thats what I heard of. It does much the same when slow cooked
> > (peeled) in a crockpot. Becomes a sort of garlic paste that
> > disburses.
> >

> I'm here to tell you, you don't need any sort of special little pot
> to roast whole heads of garlic and squeeze it out onto nice toasted
> Italian bread. BTDT, it's delicious. I sprinkle it with a little
> course salt.
>
> I don't know a thing about cooking peeled garlic in a crock pot. I
> don't buy peeled cloves of garlic. They probably do turn out like
> paste, which is what happens when you roast heads of garlic.
>
> Jill

Yup, they do! Technically not at all 'roasted' but thats ok.

Right now I'm setting up to try something new to me in a crockpot.
Came across it in a groups.io place called Kitchen Aides, Recipes, and
Appliances. I've done the long slow sweated, carmelized onions on the
stove top but a lady says you can get really close with a crockpot so I
bought a second bag of onions to try it with.

I'll back track his recipe but it is close to this: 4 large onions,
chopped, 1/2 stick butter, and I think it was a touch of balsalmic
vinegar? Then a little thyme I think was added. He says he freezes it
in muffin cups then freezes for use with other dishes through the month.

Sounded fun!

Oh, and waiting for the paint to dry on Cash's old pull-cart. I got
some leather straps and rivets to extend the bar holds up for Prince
but it was wide enough so just needs a riser to his harness. The old
ones were rotted and not long enough by some 7 inches. Vet says gentle
exercise along with his daily jogs my neighbors give him is just right
and folks will smile to see the old cherry red cart out-and-about again.