Margaret Suran

Biff wrote:
> (Leo) wrote in message
> . com>...
>
>> Hi, folks
>>
>> Can you help with a suggestion?
>>
>> On October 16, my wife and I will be renewing our marriage vows
>> on the occasion of our 10th anniversary. The renewal will be
>> held in the church where were married, with about 25 guests in
>> attendance. Afterward, we will host a reception in the church's
>> parish house, and I would like to supply champagne for the
>> occasion. Is there a decent champagne that retains for about $20
>> a bottle? As a rule of thumb, how many bottles should I buy for
>> this gathering of 25-30 people?
>>
>> If it makes a difference, we live in the Maryland suburbs of DC,
>> where the county operates the liquor stores. And we can't order
>> alcoholic beverages via mail.
>>
>> Thanks, Leo

> As a rule of thumb you can get at least 6 flute glasses from each
> 750 ml bottle possibly more. If there is to be toasts you should
> allow for 2 glasses per person. I assume people are driving and 3
> glasses of bubbley would be too much. So we are at 10 bottles
> minimum it seems. Here in Canada only the French (European French}
> can use the word Champagne on sparkling wines and it all is over
> $20.00 CDN and unless money is no object we often use a Spanish
> "champagne style" white. Frexinet is a good one at around half the
> price. It's aromatic of champagne grapes, very dry and the bubbles
> go right up your nose like a proper champagne.
>
> Felicitations, Biff
>
> What is the 10th anniversary? Wood? Silk? Pewter?

Mazel Tov! It is wonderful to see your post about wanting to renew
your marriage vows after ten years and I want to extend my heartiest
congratulations.

Does it have to be Champagne? Sure. you can get a decent bottle, non
vintage for about $20.00 to $25.00, but are you certain that all your
guest like to drink it?

I have recently been to a gathering and the champagne that was served,
each bottle much more than what you want to spend, went to waste. On
the other hand, the wine and beer that was also available, disappeared
much more quickly.

How about an old fashioned punch bowl? Lots of fruit juices and cut
up fruit and wine and ginger ale instead of the champagne? That's the
way we celebrated happy occasions, when I was young, about fifty years
ago. You can have a couple of bottles of wine, too.

In New York City, some of the champagnes in the price range you
specified, $20,00 or a little more, a

Nicolas Feuillatte Brut

Piper Heidsieck Extra Dry

Laurent Perrier Brut

There are many others, but in your area they may be less or more.

BTW, I am very biased. I do not like Champagne, no matter how good it
may be. If I drink something, I want it to be dead and not bubble in
my mouth. I do not drink any sodas, either.

Best wishes on your tenth anniversary. May you celebrate many, many
more in good health and happiness, surrounded by your loved ones, Margaret