View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Alsace night (plus btg Saumur and Burg)

Our first meal at a restaurant in ages, outdoors at Saint George in Hastings (steep slope, so they built €śterraces€ť). Beautiful breezy night, sunset on the Hudson. We shared baked oysters with leeks, onion soup with duck, coq au vin, salade Nicoise, Swiss chard gratin. We had a couple of WBTG

2018 Hureau Saumur
Tasty Chenin, citrus with chalk and just a little wax, good acids, versatile with food. B+/B

2018 Germaine Monthelie rouge
Cranberry, a bit cranky, not very long. B-/C+

Then Betsy dropped me at Alexs, where our local group was gathered around the firepit for Alsace night. Alex made a delicious Flammekueche and choucroute (I only had a little of reach)

Charles Frey Cremant dAlsace Rose
Others liked a lot, a bit off dry, clipped and short to me. C+

The blind wines
#1 - pretty clearly Gewurz, lychee and citrus, full and rich, could use a bit more acid.
2018 Meyer-Fonne Gewurztraminer 'Reserve' B

#2- mine, so no guesses from me, clearly Riesling, others guessed CFE knowing my tastes, but I fooled them. Big, good acids, pit fruit and petrol, good length., 2011 Weinbach Schlossberg Cuvee Ste. Catherine Riesling B+

#3 - I thought Pinot Blanc or dry Gris. Citrus and rocks. Good balance, nice wine. 2017 Domaine Trapet Pinot Auxerrois 'OX' B/B+

#4 - Clearly Riesling, pear and citrus, citrus zest, just a touch of incipient petrol. Long and balanced, and edged Weinbach for my WOTN. Ive never had Trapets Alsace wines before 2016 Trapet €śRQHR€ť Riesling B++

#5- wet, citrus, wet. 2017 Francois Baur Pinot Blanc C+

There were 2 reds, I didnt like either, but only noted the Hubert & Christian Pirouettes Pinot Noir
It says glouglou on label, but not for me. Light, a bit lifted, a little barnyard. C+

Fun night with great people

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.