Mark Willstatter

(Leo) wrote in message . com>...
> Hi, folks
>
> Can you help with a suggestion?
>
> On October 16, my wife and I will be renewing our marriage vows on the
> occasion of our 10th anniversary. The renewal will be held in the
> church where were married, with about 25 guests in attendance.
> Afterward, we will host a reception in the church's parish house, and
> I would like to supply champagne for the occasion. Is there a decent
> champagne that retains for about $20 a bottle? As a rule of thumb,
> how many bottles should I buy for this gathering of 25-30 people?
>
> If it makes a difference, we live in the Maryland suburbs of DC, where
> the county operates the liquor stores. And we can't order alcoholic
> beverages via mail.
>
> Thanks,
> Leo

If sparkling wine is OK rather than only Champagne with a capitol C, I
highly recommend Gruet - from of all places, New Mexico. I was
introduced to Gruet recently via bottle of their Blanc de Noirs. A
very fine, long-lasting mousse, great creamy mouthfeel, nice fruit. I
was dubious seeing New Mexico on the label but ended up completely
impressed - you might not be able to call this wine complex but it is
a very fine effort. From later reading, I understand their other
sparkling wines are also very nice and at $13 from the winery ($12 by
the case) they represent great value. They are widely distributed, so
you may well be able to find it near DC. You can also read about the
wines at
http://www.gruetwinery.com/. I have no connection with the
place other than as the very happy and surprised recipient of a gift
bottle.

- Mark W.