Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Graham Graham is offline

Default Question about freezing

On Mon, 05 Oct 2020 09:07:37 -0300, Shadow wrote:

> My sourdough bread only stays fresh for about 2 days(Brazil - > 40C
> ambient temperature and very low humidity ATM), so I only make loaves
> with 300-400 grams of flour. It's just me and the wife ...
>
> Yes, I know I can make toast, but that defeats the object of lovely
> crust/gummy interior.
>
> Is there a way to make a larger batch and freeze part of it, so I can
> make once - bake multiple days?
>
> If so, what is the optimum "stage" at which the dough should be
> frozen?
> Just after the folds/after the first rise/after the shaping?
>
> Online "advice" is often contradictory.
>
> Anyone freeze regularly?
> TIA
> []'s

I live alone so my needs are small. Therefore, when I bake bread, I make
several loaves (up to 12) and freeze them in polythene bags. If you freeze,
say, 6 loaves and eat bread every day, there will be no problem as there
should be little problem for 3-4 months. After that, one sees evidence of
dehydration (ice crystals) in the bag. Defrost such a loaf in the bag and
the water will be absorbed and the loaf perfectly edible.
Therefore, don't worry and freeze your bread.
Hope this helps.
Graham