View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Me, Warre, and BVGdLT turn 60, PBaron, Laville, Carillon, etcare younger

On 10/2/20 12:44 PM, wrote:
> My plan for last few years was to have a big 60th party, to use up some of my magnums. COVID killed that idea. So we had a pair of couples over for outside dinner last night with regular sized bottles.
>

Happy 60th, Dale! I do recall now that you are a 60er.

> Steak (not the ones I wanted- grrr), winter squash with pomegranate, heirloom tomato salad
> 1989 Pichon Baron
> Great showing, rich cassis fruit framed by supple tannins and moderate acids, some leather and cigar smoke. Long ferric finish. Young but totally delicious. A-

I recall having this wine years ago. Very classy wine, and it sounds
like you had a good bottle.

>
> 1960 Beaulieu Vineyards €śGeorges de Latour€ť Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
> Incredible fill for a wine my age, just into neck. Best bottle Ive had (others had decent high shoulder fills). Back has big lettering €śMade Exclusively with Cabernet Sauvignon Grapes€ť (this was when that was a rarity in CA) but Id never have guessed that if blind. Fruit is solidly in red spectrum - cherry and cranberry. But shockingly lively, sweet red fruit and herbs holds on for hours. B+/B

Wow, talk about a great showing.
>
> 1973 Heitz Cabernet Sauvignon
> Modest fruit, some barnyard, decent wine thats holding on but blown away by other reds. B-

In many respects, I prefer '73 to the more ballyhooed '74 vintage in
Napa. The wines weren't as fruit-forward and had better structure.
Still, at age 47 anything is possible.

> 1960 Warre Vintage Porto
> From 375 ml. I think most Port lovers would find this too light, but to me it was delightful and elegant. Spiced cherries, toffee, leather. Nice length, even though it is light-bodied. Not recommended for those looking for power, but for me A-/B+

One of my best friends was born in '60. When I went to look for
birthyear wines, Port was about the only region that seems to have done
well that year. But you know all about that, I'm sure ;-)

Great set of notes!
Mark Lipton