Posted to alt.food.wine
[email protected] dalewilli...@gmail.com is offline

Default Riesling with everything?

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 7:26:03 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 8/25/20 2:49 PM, RichD wrote:
> > When friends ask for food pairings, I always recommend
> > Riesling, the universal grape.
> >
> > But I'm not sure - are there any specific dishes where
> > this advice fails?

> Riesling is a very versatile white grape, but it's not an ideal choice
> with most red meats. I think that tomato-based dishes also can
> overwhelm it. With Riesling, it also depends on the sweetness level.
> "Dessert wine"-type Rieslings (Auslese and up) are really not suited for
> much food beyond certain cheeses and maybe nuts (ironically, they would
> be terrible with most desserts).
>
> Just my $0.02,
> Mark Lipton

i'm with Mark and Ken, not a fan with red meat (well, maybe duck or goose if you consider red meat) or with tomato dishes (especially cooked, but fresh as well). Not a real clash but not my instinct with delicate white fish either. But lots of chicken, pork, rabbit, oily fish recipes it's my go-to (especially if Asian)