Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Default Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:55:18 -0700 (PDT), GM
> > wrote:
>
> >Janet B. wrote:
> >
> >> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
> >> in the fridge for awhile.
> >> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
> >> Thanks

> >I am currently enjoying a "corn relish" type of salad, I made it last weekend. Very easy, it has diced cukes, red/green bell peppers, celery, red onion, I used frozen corn...cooked up briefly in a brine of rice vinegar/water/sugar/ salt, for lagniappe I added red pepper flakes, minced garlic, and a wee bit of garam masala...
> >
> >Very tasty, I just had some mixed with some store - bought macarooni salad, I've used it in tossed salad, with tater salad, also as a relish with some bratwurst...I made two quarts and it is almost gone...it is dandy just by itself...very "clean and healthy", so one can eat a lot...nice spicy and crisp taste...
> >
> >You can use most anything, this weekend I'll use some zukes, okra, mebbe some termators...red or green cabbage, too...I've a bag of small bruxelles sprouts in the freezer, that might work too...OH and green beans, carrots....
> >
> >Years ago I would can quarts of this stuff for the winter, always a hit as a Christmas gift. Now I'm older and lazier, the "refrigerator pickle" type of thing as this is works well for me...

> that sounds interesting. No tomatoes? Does it get watery sitting in
> the brine? Do you brine the vegetables for a bit and then drain the
> salad before adding the final bit of dressing?

I brine the veg for a bit and then remove with a slotted spoon to a container, keeps several weeks in the fridge...this is akin to a "corn relish" type of thing...and one could add some tomato piecces (pulp removed, natch)...or most anything else. Cauliflower might be good...a quick goog for "vegetable relish":

https://www.food.com/search/vegetable+relish

Many receipts for corn relish, here is one to start, simply forego the canning part if you wish - and you could even leave out the corn (I use frozen corn)...:

https://www.food.com/recipe/corn-rel...-canning-10711

CORN RELISH FOR CANNING

READY IN: 54mins
YIELD: 6 Pints
UNITS: US
INGREDIENTS
Nutrition
22
ears corn
1
cup chopped red bell pepper
1
cup chopped green bell pepper
1 14
cups chopped celery
34
cup chopped onion
1 12
cups sugar
2 12
cups distilled white vinegar
2
cups water
1
teaspoon salt
1
teaspoon celery seed
1 12
teaspoons mustard seeds
12
teaspoon ground turmeric

DIRECTIONS

Cook ears of corn in boiling salted water for 4 minutes.

Remove and plunge in ice water-strain-and cut corn from cob-you want 10 cups.
Combine corn with remaining ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 20 minutes.

Immediately pack into clean hot pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space; seal.
Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath...'

</>