external usenet poster

Default Cole Slaw recipes? ISO

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 17:55:18 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I've been making a lot of vegetable salads lately. The kind that last
>> in the fridge for awhile.
>> Do you have a favorite you would be willing to share?
>> Thanks

>
>
>I am currently enjoying a "corn relish" type of salad, I made it last weekend. Very easy, it has diced cukes, red/green bell peppers, celery, red onion, I used frozen corn...cooked up briefly in a brine of rice vinegar/water/sugar/ salt, for lagniappe I added red pepper flakes, minced garlic, and a wee bit of garam masala...
>
>Very tasty, I just had some mixed with some store - bought macarooni salad, I've used it in tossed salad, with tater salad, also as a relish with some bratwurst...I made two quarts and it is almost gone...it is dandy just by itself...very "clean and healthy", so one can eat a lot...nice spicy and crisp taste...
>
>You can use most anything, this weekend I'll use some zukes, okra, mebbe some termators...red or green cabbage, too...I've a bag of small bruxelles sprouts in the freezer, that might work too...OH and green beans, carrots...
>
>Years ago I would can quarts of this stuff for the winter, always a hit as a Christmas gift. Now I'm older and lazier, the "refrigerator pickle" type of thing as this is works well for me...

that sounds interesting. No tomatoes? Does it get watery sitting in
the brine? Do you brine the vegetables for a bit and then drain the
salad before adding the final bit of dressing?
Janet US