Posted to rec.food.baking
[email protected] abbywriter1@gmail.com is offline

Default Where have all the flours gone?

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 8:36:03 PM UTC-4, bob prohaska wrote:
> It seems flour, especially bread flour but also everything else,
> has gotten extremely scarce in the last few weeks. I can't even
> find it on-line.
>
> My needs aren't urgent, but when the stock gets below a couple
> 5-lb bags I start looking to replenish. Not possible right now.
>
> Anybody got a hint what's going on? I can't believe all that many
> folks are actually making their own bread.....
>
> As an unrelated aside, there's a nice, if sentimental, article on
> French baking culture in:
>
> https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-bread-in-lyon
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

Flour is available in some stores near me, but yeast is more challenging to find. If anyone is interested in an easy bread recipe that does not need a bread maker, you might enjoy this https://delishably.com/baked-goods/S...and-Half-Rolls. (I hope it is okay to share here.) I appreciate you taking a look and hope you try it.

Abby