Ron Lel

"st.helier" > wrote in message
news:1096163180.472258@ftpsrv1...
> In a speech to the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (UK) Australian winemaker
> made some very interesting observations.
>
> He said "There is little doubt that Australia will fully develop its
> abundant potential as a supplier of some of the finest wines of the world
> as
> well as consolidate its position as the reliable supplier of "good value
> for
> money" commodity wine"
>
> "There is little doubt that France and the other "Old World" producers
> will
> give up some more of their dominant 70% of market share of internationally
> traded wine to the "New World" producers in both categories, branded
> commodity and regionally differentiated premium wine."
>
> "There will be a decreasing place for subsidised production lacking market
> relevance."
>
> "The real revolution in world wine production has only just begun, "the
> big
> march south".
>
> "Climate change, pollution, northern hemisphere land values and population
> pressures will give added momentum to the inexorable march of global wine
> production into the southern hemisphere."
>
> "This migration is not a threat to the great wines of the Old World but
> will
> provide a platform for the emergence of equivalent wines from south of the
> equator."
>
> "Australian agriculture now has the three W's, wheat, wool and wine and
> the
> greatest of these will be wine, thanks largely to the consumers of the
> northern hemisphere but also because of the sublime viticultural qualities
> of Australia."
>
> Full Article at http://www.bibendum-wine.co.uk/news/wset04.pdf
>
> This is a long, but interesting read.
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Well, I for one think this is self serving crap. Sure Australia makes some
excellent wines, but I find the vast majority of high powered Barossa shiraz
totally unpleasant. Unfortunately a lot of these wines have also become
Parkerised; they have high levels of alcohol and are really extractive and
what I would call "fruit bombs". I intensely dislike these wines, (eg
Lehmann, Rockford and even the hugely overpriced Torbreck), and find it hard
to drink more than a glass.

I believe that Australians like really strong flavours and dislike sublety
in both food and wine. (Before the flames start, I am Australian). Just one
example: it is interesting that the vast majority of Aussies prefer Bowen
Estate in the years when the style changed to a much higher alcohol
extractive style - I prefer the earlier wines.

Finally, contrary to the beliefs of some winemakers, Australia has produced
VERY few high quality pinots, Phil Jones' Bass Phillip being an obvious
exception.

Ron