Posted to rec.food.cooking
Daniel[_6_] Daniel[_6_] is offline

Default My ongoing pizza trouble

Silvar Beitel > writes:

> On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 5:05:58 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
>> Using 00 flour, making thin pies.
>> Cuisinart stone in oven. Whether 550 deg or 450 i cannot get crust to nicley brown before burning top.
>> I tried up top in oven and down low.
>> I tried low then opening oven door to let top heat out.
>> The pies are really good but could be better.
>> What do I need to do to get the crust better?

> This will be sacrilege to some, but consider baking your pizzas in
> pans. Sheet pans, cake pans, whatever, thin aluminum. And coating
> the pans generously with oil (and a little coarse corn meal for
> effect) so that the bottoms of the pies "fry" in the oil at normal
> "high" home oven temperatures. Lower rack, of course. Result is a
> crunchy bottom, not a real char, but still pretty stiff and tasty, and
> it happens before the top gets burnt.

I don't think it's sacrilege but it sounds like a great technique for
making pizza. But this doesn't answer Thomas' question. But, your
technique sounds nice. I happened to make pizza tonight. Used my bread
machine to make the dough while I napped.

I believe the browning of the crust entails sugars in the dough. A
number of years ago I read an op-ed on why New York style pizza is
considered the best. My takeaway was that they proof their dough, at
least the ones interviewed, for up to seventy-two hours. The long
process forms sugars which caramelize during baking and gives the crust
that telltale browning.

Of you can add sugar to the dough to achieve the same browning. I did
some research to find that article with no luck. But, now, there are a
number of sites out there discussing it.

https://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/72-hour-pizza-dough

> (I incidentally have a batch of pizza dough (75% hydration) resting in
> the fridge for home made pizza tomorrow or the next night.)

How do you control the hydration?

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world