Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster

Default My ongoing pizza trouble

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 18:38:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:17:20 PM UTC-10, Silvar Beitel wrote:
>> On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 5:05:58 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
>> > Using 00 flour, making thin pies.
>> > Cuisinart stone in oven. Whether 550 deg or 450 i cannot get crust to nicley brown before burning top.
>> > I tried up top in oven and down low.
>> > I tried low then opening oven door to let top heat out.
>> > The pies are really good but could be better.
>> > What do I need to do to get the crust better?

>>
>> This will be sacrilege to some, but consider baking your pizzas in pans. Sheet pans, cake pans, whatever, thin aluminum. And coating the pans generously with oil (and a little coarse corn meal for effect) so that the bottoms of the pies "fry" in the oil at normal "high" home oven temperatures. Lower rack, of course. Result is a crunchy bottom, not a real char, but still pretty stiff and tasty, and it happens before the top gets burnt.
>>
>> (I incidentally have a batch of pizza dough (75% hydration) resting in the fridge for home made pizza tomorrow or the next night.)
>>
>> (And here's something that might elicit your envy or sympathy: I live in a very old (for the USA) New England farmhouse. It's a "center chimney colonial" style house. Said center chimney has five fireplaces and one ... beehive oven. Which would be perfect for pizza (or any wood-fired bread) except for the fact that the last owner who "renovated" the place covered over the oven with a wood (wood! you know, like the stuff that burns!) facing. In years of looking at it, I haven't figured our how to return it to usability without destroying an entire wall in the kitchen.)
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel

>
>I have made fried crust pizza. It's always an option.

That's true. Every day one has to decide: shall I make a fried crust
pizza today or not. Most of the time, the answer will be No.

> I'll make it about 50% of the time. I like to make it for the kids -
> they seem to like it better. As it goes, it's easier to eat because
> it's easy to bite into. OTOH, here's a picture of a regular crust
> pizza.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kQE5L5Gx_r5xtt

That's a very American pizza. I hereby declare you a humble Hawaiian
American.