View Single Post
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Wines al fresco on a lovely weekend

On 6/16/20 9:56 PM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 6/16/20 4:01 PM, DaleW wrote:
>> Thursday was fish tacos, and usually Id go for something lighter the Burg, but I wanted to try the 2018 Pernot Bourgogne Cote dOr (blanc). Nice balance, good acids, full citrus and apple fruit, some citrus blossoms. Nice for level. Did they just start listing Cote d'Or in name? Don't remember before. B/B+

>
> Bourgogne Cote d'Or is a new (2017) AOC designation, intended to fall in
> between generic Bourgogne and Cote de Beaune/Nuits. To get this
> designation, the grapes must come from one of the 30 communes located
> within the Cote d'Or.
>
>
>> No wine with dinner Monday (kimchi pancakes), but afterwards our Zoom group opened 8 bottles of the 2015 Les Fillottes (Pomerol). A new wine by the Thienpont family (VCC), Im just not that used to drinking young Bordeaux these days (I used to eagerly taste each new vintage, but as I generally like claret with at least 20 years, lately less excited about things to drink in my late 70s or 80s). So this was a stretch for me. The oak was so dominant at first, though I really think it was spicy and likely to integrate well. Red plummy fruit, a little herb note, there is a bit of that Pomerol lush textural note. For me for drinking now B-, but I think this might be quite the respectable Pomerol when it matures, and its not priced badly for Pomerol.

>
> I hear you about buying vins de garde. I've scaled back my purchases of
> red wines in the past year as a) I've exhausted our cellar space and b)
> we've got enough wine to last us 10-20 years.
>
> Mark Lipton
>

I hear that Mark. We only buy daily drinkers. Nothing for aging as we
now have 1200 bottles and I will be 73 in 6 weeks so my cellar will
probably outlast me now.