bogus address

[social organization of eating in feudal households]
>> You mentioned "The records of places like Knole, Hampton Court
>> Palace, and some of the great religious houses will tell you this."
>> I"m new to this. Could you tell me how I can find the records you
>> cited, or similar records?

> Google for the historic places, then ring them up and ask them!

Usually, no. Records like that tend to end up in major libraries (in
Scotland, the National Library and Scottish Records Office both have
lots of them). In the case of Hampton Court, it had a devastating
fire a few years ago (from a senile royal dimwit forgetting a candle)
and interesting records had better *not* have been stored there.

Sometimes great houses come to an arrangement where a major library
does their cataloguing for them. The National Library of Scotland
holds the catalogue for the library of the Kers of Newbattle, so if
you want to know what's in it, the NLS is the place to ask. Getting
hold of the item then means going through the NLS to get the Kers to
send it up with the next batch of requests, which are at three month
intervals.

I don't know of any major private library in Scotland where phoning
up to ask would work directly.

There are national registers of archives that act like a catalogue
of catalogues. Librarians are paid to know about them, janitors at
great houses aren't.

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.