Posted to rec.food.cooking
songbird songbird is offline

Default Remember when ?

Snag wrote:

> Hamburger was subsistence food and not a luxury ?

umm, for us hamburger was a luxury, steaks were even
nicer, we ate a lot of pasta and vegetables. what i
also remember is that the beef was grass fed and not
as fat as it is these days.

we did eat more chicken than beef, we never had lamb.
sometimes venison or liver. sometimes fish or shrimp
but more likely when we would catch it ourselves. it
wasn't until i was around 10 that i tasted lobster
and scallops. crab came later, the fake crab i do
like and certain brands we used to eat a lot until
something changed and we couldn't really find what
we liked any more (not sure what happened).

our most common meat was cold cuts and hotdogs. they
were much cheaper than beef.

> I went to the store
> a couple of days ago for charcoal while I was in town to fill our
> propane tanks and decided to check out the meat cases . 80/20 ground
> chuck is now at $6.59 per pound here . That's crazy , but a sign of the
> times . Chicken is up a bit , boneless/skinless breasts (large , fresh)
> are at $1.99 , pork is still at or near pre-scamdemic prices .

i don't know what the meat prices have been like at
the store, we normally don't buy a lot of meat.

today i finished off some lima beans and to make
it kinda like lasagna filling i put some oregano,
cheese and an egg with them and cooked it all until
the egg was set. hit the spot.

now i'm about to have a small salad with a chunk
of cheese on the side.

songbird