Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Remember when ?

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 2:12:48 PM UTC-4, Snag wrote:
> On 5/22/2020 10:20 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 10:02:36 AM UTC-4, Snag wrote:
> >> Hamburger was subsistence food and not a luxury ? I went to the store
> >> a couple of days ago for charcoal while I was in town to fill our
> >> propane tanks and decided to check out the meat cases . 80/20 ground
> >> chuck is now at $6.59 per pound here . That's crazy , but a sign of the
> >> times . Chicken is up a bit , boneless/skinless breasts (large , fresh)
> >> are at $1.99 , pork is still at or near pre-scamdemic prices .

> > It has always depended on how much money you make. For me, hamburger
> > is just as cheap as it was in 1986. My salary has kept up with inflation
> > in the price of ground chuck.
> >
> > I'll get back to you after I'm retired. It'll probably seem more expensive
> > then.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Ya see Cindy , the SAME PRODUCT was around 4 bucks a pound just a few
> short weeks ago . It seems beef has been disproportionally affected by
> the scamdemic . Many other meat products have been affected a lot less ,
> as evidenced by the prices I've been seeing in our local chain store .

Oh. "Remember when" was four weeks ago. I thought you were referring to
a much longer time span, as most people do who invoke that kind of
nostalgia.

I don't eat much ground beef, so I never pay attention to the price.
A half pound for a couple of burgers isn't going to break the bank,
even at $6.59/lb. It looks like ground chuck is $6.99/pound at the
store where I would buy it. That's less than I would have expected.

Cindy Hamilton