Vic

Thanks for the response.
Starting SG was 1.104.
When pressed, virtually all activity in primary had stopped, and the must
was appropriately decomposed and color was / is fantastic.
Juice is sweet wine already, after only 9 days.
Despite any active activity in barrel, fermentation will undoubtedly be
continuing until sugar is consumed. Sugar reading at crush was 26, and at
press was 3.
What do you think?

"Mark - N1MT" > wrote in message
om...
> If after 5 or so days of fermentation, you were at SG=1.09, wondering
> what your starting SG was ?
>
> I typically press somewhere between day 6 and 10, once SG reaches
> around 1.02. I found this gives me good color.
>
> Years ago, I had a similar thing happen to me when I put my must into
> the oak barrel, fermentation stopped. What I'm guessing happened was
> that I washed the barrel out with some sulfite solution and didn't get
> it completely removed prior to adding must. I guessing the higher
> level of sulfite killed off the remaining yeast. I ended up putting in
> additional yeast to get it restarted. Fermentation restarted, but I
> was never able to get that batch completely dry.
>
> Good luck, Mark
>

> "Vic" > wrote in message

et>...
> > I crushed a combination of Cab (60%) and Merlot (40%) into primary and

after