Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Martin[_4_] Sheldon Martin[_4_] is offline

Default Dover Sole!

On Thu, 14 May 2020 09:13:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > That has a real name.

>> The real name you're thinking of only applies if the soup is served
>> cold. Jill doesn't do cold soups.

I think Jill has her signature butternut squash soup cold.

>I used the "New York Times" cookbook recipe.
>I seem to remember they said to also puree it, then chill.
>
>Neither of those final options appealed to me so I ate
>it all hot and chunky. Same ingredients and taste.
>
>Changing the name because of that seems a bit odd to me.
>If ordered in a restaurant though, it would be expected
>to be pureed and chilled.

I don't like cold soups or pureed soups, however I like Manachewitz
borsht and shav cold with sour cream. Borsht is naturally a beet soup,
shav is a soup made with sour grass (sorrel)... I like either with
sour cream and sliced hard cooked eggs.
A good price for a dozen bottles:
https://www.ebay.com/p/1900934527
Actually not sour, tastes like super spinach, Popeye loves it, Olive
Oyl loves it more because it puts lead in Popeye's pencil.
https://www.fooducate.com/product/Ma...2-FEFD45A4D471
You can find both at most supermarkets in the Jewish foods section but
you don't need to be Jewish to enjoy Jewish foods... I can assure you
I'm not Chinese but I love Chinese food, even the real Chinese food,
not just Americanized Chinese as found at Take-Outs. Long ago I had a
Chinese neighbor in Brooklyn, at least once a month we'd go to the NYC
China Town for a great meal, he could read the Chinese menu... in
between we'd dine in Little Italy, we both loved scungili with
spaghetti and pepper biscuits. Could always tell you were in an
Italian neighborhood by all the scungili shells and fig trees in the
yard. In winter all the fig trees were dressed in linoleum tied with
clothes lines.
Brooklyn probably has more different ethnic neighborhoods than
anywhere else on the planet... I tried all those foods, most I liked,
not those lamb dishes. Bleat!
Growing up in Brooklyn race/nationality meant nothing, everyone was
equal.
I remember when the subway, bus, and trolly was only a nickle, so was
a pay phone:
http://www.screanews.us/NewYork/BrooklynOld.htm