Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dover Sole!

On 2020-05-14 10:23 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 9:14:25 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:

>> Changing the name because of that seems a bit odd to me.

> Why? A particular recipe has a unique name. If you don't
> prepare it that way, the unique name doesn't fit.
>
> Suppose I made bouillabaisse but I left out the seafood.
> Is it still bouillabaisse?

There are lots of variations of recipes that will still qualify to bear
the name. For instance, I looked up steak au poivre recipes last night.
There were all sorts of variations. Some used ground pepper while
others used whole or coarsely ground. Some used shallots in the sauce
and some had none. Some used butter in the sauce while some had cream
and some had both. I have also seen variations of beef Stroganoff.
While different, they stuck close enough to a central theme to qualify
as the same dish.

A few years back we had a similar thread about a pet peeve of mine....
the Martini. To me, a Martini is gin and vermouth. It is not a big deal
to use vodka instead of gin. My problem is when people call anything
served in a Martini class a Martini. When you start throwing in
chocolate, or cranberry juice and orange zest and crap like that, it is
not a Martini.