Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Dover Sole!

On 5/12/2020 8:37 PM, wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 6:09:49 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> We are talking grocery stores. Don't expect them to have vast knowledge
>> of everything on their shelves. I once asked a guy in the produce
>> department when the Seville oranges would be coming in. He seemed a
>> little confused at first but then a light went off and he said oh yeah,
>> the really delicious ones. No. They are not really delicious. They are
>> closer to inedible. He obviously didn't have a clue.
>>

> I once asked the produce guy if they had any Italian parsley (flat-leaf)?
> He said no, all they had was the 'regular kind.' Duh, Italian parsley
> IS the regular kind, at least it is to me. All they had in stock was
> the curly leaf variety.

A few years ago I was looking for leeks at Publix. (I had potato-leek
soup in mind.) They usually have a really nice selection of fresh
veggies. The young man restocking the fresh vegetables had no idea what
leeks were. In a perfect world he'd have known. Alas, it's not a
perfect world. The guy checked with the produce manager who confirmed,
nope, no leeks.

I finished my shopping there and then went to Food Lion. They had some
nice beautiful leeks. And yes, I made the soup.

Jill