Bob Simon

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:33:10 -0400, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Bob Simon wrote:
>>
>> I have a set of four hand-made stoneware plates with tri-color glazes
>> that I consider art pieces as much as dinnerware. Years ago, we also
>> purchased a set of Royal Doulton porcelain plates for everyday use.
>> My wife says that since she has noticed scratches on the porcelain
>> plates, we should only serve meat on the stoneware which will resist
>> scratches from knives.
>>
>> Does anyone happen to know which is usually harder: stoneware or
>> porcelain?

>Well, I'm going to reply even though I don't really *know*.
>I would say porcelain is less hard as one tends to think
>of porcelain as being "delicate", and the term is used
>metaphorically as when describing "porcelain" skin, meaning
>"delicate. Also, the name "stoneware" implies hardness so
>I'm thinking it would be harder. But then maybe it just
>seems harder because it's so big and heavy compared to
>porcelain, which is thinner and lighter.

Kate,
Thank you for sharing your perspective. My wife may be thinking along
these lines, too.

>> Even if the glazes are typically about equally scratch-resistant,
>> wouldn't it make sense to generally use the commercial porcelain
>> plates, reserving the decorative stoneware plates for special
>> occasions?

>I find it curious that, from what you've written above,
>you seem to think of the porcelain as "everyday" ware and
>the stoneware as your "good stuff". To me it would seem
>to be the other way around. Generally porcelain is more
>refined and used for "good", while stoneware is more mundane
>and used for everyday. That being said, my stoneware *is*
>my *good* stuff, but then I don't have any porcelain. And
>also I suppose one can have cheap porcelain that would not
>be as "nice" as some really good stoneware.

Perhaps I was mistaken when I used the word porcelain. I looked it up
and see that technically it's a type of clay composed primarily of
kaolin. I don't know what type of clay our Royal Doulton plates are
made of; I called them porcelain because they are white.

The reason that I do not value them as highly as my stoneware is
because they are commercial and therefore replaceable. My four
stoneware plates, while similar enought to be considered a set, are
each unique. (And I see that you too appreciate the melding of
function and aesthetics one gets from good stoneware.)

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies