Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Real wine, virtual dinner- 75 Gazin, 78 Gloria, & Loire SB

On 3/26/20 12:04 PM, DaleW wrote:

> 1978 Ch. Gloria (St. Julien) Welcome to pyrazine city. I was
> expecting that this might be very tired, but while fully mature it
> held onto to some cassis fruit and good acids. But what an
> overwhelming bell pepper meets pine needle nose. I drink a lot of
> Chinon, but this is too green for me. Others liked more. Gloria is
> sentimental to me, the "82 at about 10 was my wakeup wine, and Hilary
> said it was a mainstay of her dads cellar so it tugged at her. C+/B-

"I drink a lot of Chinon, but this is too green for me" is an all-time
classic line, Dale. I've really enjoyed the '78s I've had, so I wonder
what was going on at Gloria then to cause such an excess. Ladybug
infestation?

> 1975 Ch. Gazin (Pomerol) Like everyone else I think Pomerol was the
> sweet spot of "75 Bdx. Those "75 tannins are just a trace now, pretty
> black plum fruit with plenty of lush black plum fruit, and prominent
> tertiary notes of leather, cigarbox, and mushroom. Good length, nice
> acid balance, satisfying. B+/A-

Awesome! I recall when the '75s were released, there was so much
fanfare by Frank Prial and others. Like '86 (and '96) those tannins
proved much harder than was first realized, I think. It makes sense
that Pomerol would be the one commune to handle that well.

> A good night in a tough period. Zoom does not replace a full dinner
> table, but still felt good to have a real discussion rather than a
> duologue/trialogue. Even if conversation was often grim. Friends
> matter.

Yes, friends do matter. We are lucky in a sense that this happens now,
when technology allows us face-to-face communication even when
sequestered. You, Betsy and Dana have been much in my thoughts
recently, too. Let's all get through this together.

Mark Lipton