Bob Simon

Default Stoneware vs Porcelain

I have a set of four hand-made stoneware plates with tri-color glazes
that I consider art pieces as much as dinnerware. Years ago, we also
purchased a set of Royal Doulton porcelain plates for everyday use.
My wife says that since she has noticed scratches on the porcelain
plates, we should only serve meat on the stoneware which will resist
scratches from knives.

Does anyone happen to know which is usually harder: stoneware or
porcelain?

Even if the glazes are typically about equally scratch-resistant,
wouldn't it make sense to generally use the commercial porcelain
plates, reserving the decorative stoneware plates for special
occasions?

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies