Old 24-09-2004, 08:14 AM
GoombaP

On the farm in Alcona, Co., Michigan we had a Wolf River apple tree. It
often produced apples so big that one of them made an 8" pie. Full! Most
often however it took 2 apples. It was a typical backyard apple variety that
never made it commercially because the fruit bruised easily and didn't store
well. How many such varieties of other fruits have we lost?

"Jessica V." wrote in message
Today was apple picking, a half bushel of sweet/tart MacIntosh apples. The
orchard is one that friends of my parents owned when I was a child, lots
of memories there, running down into the orchard to pick an apple for a
snack, talking to the migrant Jamaican apple pickers, hide and seek, apple
fights (ouch), my brother peeing on the electric fence...typical kid
stuff. ;0) But what I remembered most about the orchard were a few trees
with some unusual varieties of apples, sadly those trees are now gone.
The tree that produced "cannonballs" apples weighing over 20 ounces each
is gone too, two were enough for a pie.

So far, I've made two apple crisps with my grandmother's recipe. Yeah,
yeah, I know Macs are for eating not cooking, but I like how they cook up.

There are still pies and pancakes to be made. Will make another trip for
inexpensive utility apples for apple sauce and apple butter.

I also intend to try an Apple Brownie recipe from _Cooking Downeast_,
Marjorie Standish, 1969.

1 stick margarine
1 c sugar
1 egg
2 medium apples, pared, cored and chopped fine
1/2 c chopped nuts
1 c flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon

Cream margarine. Add sugar gradually. Beat egg until light and beat into
mixture until creamy. Mix in the chopped apples and nuts. Sift flour and
measure. Sift together with powder, soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir lightly
into apple mixture.

Turn ital a buttered 7 by 11-inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40
minutes. Cool, cut into bars.

Jessica