Charles Howse

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:49:12 -0500, "Charles Howse" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
>>bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>>
>>1 cup cider vinegar
>>2 tablespoons salt
>>1 tablespoon brown sugar
>>1 teaspoon ground cayenne
>>1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>>
>>This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
>>The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
>>it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
>>I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>>

>>TIA,
>>Charles
>>

> Charles,
>
> Problem with something that has too much salt in it is....usually the
> only way to overcome is by adding more of the OTHER ingredients until
> you have reduced the percentage of salt sufficiently. In this case,
> that may mean adding another whole cup of the other ingredients to end
> up with 2 cups of sauce.
>
> Personally, I would make a fresh start and add the salt last, and to
> taste.

Good point, that's what I'll do next time. I'm determined to learn how to
make this stuff.

> The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
> simply not LIKE vinegar sauce....you could cut it with water, or a

Actually, I've grown up here in West Tennessee eating vinegar sauce on my
BBQ sandwiches, and prefer it to something like Bullseye.

> fruit juice (apple comes to mind) to make it less acidic but it will
> likely still be fairly vinegary. I added some tomato paste to a
> recipe for Carolina vinegar sauce when I was trying to reproduce one
> I had in Lexington (at Jimmy's for those who care ) and it added some
> texture and cut the sharpness a little.

I've added a cup of apple juice I stole from my grandson while he wasn't
looking, some catsup, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of white
sugar, black pepper, and crushed cayenne...everyone still reacts violently
when tasting it. ;-) Too much vinegar!
I've also set the bowl of sauce on top of the smoker to see if some of the
vinegar will evaporate.

I'm smoking a 6.7 lb Boston Butt, and plan to eat about 7:30 Central time.

If all else fails, there's still time to go to the "Pig House" (our local
BBQ Drive-thru) and buy a cup of sauce.