Chef Juke

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:49:12 -0500, "Charles Howse" >
wrote:

>Hi,
>I have never made a vinegar based finishing sauce before, but yesterday I
>bit the bullet and made the following from a recipe on the Internet:
>
>1 cup cider vinegar
>2 tablespoons salt
>1 tablespoon brown sugar
>1 teaspoon ground cayenne
>1 teaspoon crushed cayenne
>
>This is WAY, WAY, WAY to vinegary, and too, too, too salty!
>The question is, how can I fix it? I don't want to throw it out (I know,
>it's only a cup of stuff, but still...).
>I'd like to learn how to fix something that doesn't taste right.
>

>TIA,
>Charles

Charles,

Problem with something that has too much salt in it is....usually the
only way to overcome is by adding more of the OTHER ingredients until
you have reduced the percentage of salt sufficiently. In this case,
that may mean adding another whole cup of the other ingredients to end
up with 2 cups of sauce.

Personally, I would make a fresh start and add the salt last, and to
taste.

The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
simply not LIKE vinegar sauce....you could cut it with water, or a
fruit juice (apple comes to mind) to make it less acidic but it will
likely still be fairly vinegary. I added some tomato paste to a
recipe for Carolina vinegar sauce when I was trying to reproduce one
I had in Lexington (at Jimmy's for those who care ) and it added some
texture and cut the sharpness a little.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com