Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default TN: Spanish wines, Champagne, Loire, LH Zin, CFE, blind Bdx

Local less-serious wine group met for Medoc night Friday. Alex fed us well- charcuterie, bavette, potatoes, green beans, cheese, and salad. Wines were blind

2004 Ch. Lascombes
Plush, ripe bordering on jammy but not quite there, this is somewhat midmodern style. Pushing the envelope, not breaking it. B/B-.

2015 Ch. Amour (Medoc)
Sweet plum, somewhat hollow, I did not guess 2015! B-/C+

1970 Ch. Beychevelle
Guesses were in 80s.. Sweet soft dark fruit, forest floor and fungi, good length, slight ferric note on finish. A-/B+

2016 Fourcas Dupre (Listrac)
Pretty structured with firm tannin and acids,young, good length. B+ (B for drinking now)

2014 Mamin (Graves)
Plummy anonymous wine.(off theme, but original email started €śLeft Bank Wines from Medoc inc€¦€ť and he just remembered LB) C+

2015 Ch. Bellevue (Medoc)
Some firm tannins, low acid, good plum and cassis fruit. B

2000 Ch. Poujeaux (Moulis)
Classiest showing of a Poujeaux I remember. Red and black currant, cigarbox, hint of minty herb. Good finish. Showing well. B+/A-

Apparently I forgot a wine- 8 of us and I only count 7 Bdx.,

1976Caymus Late Harvest Special Selection Zinfandel
Not blind. Last month we did Zin , I had thought of bringing this, but was spitting before an airport trip - guys said they would have liked to try, so brought as a bonus. This has dropped most of the sweetness, the alcohol is apparent but I still kinda enjoy, tastes like a mature fleshy Zin mixed with a little tawny port. B-

Saturday I cooked, but we started with oysters, with my €śAsian mignonette€ť sauce (lime juice, ponzu, soy, shallot)
2014 GĂ©rard Boulay €śLa Cote€ť Sancerre
Banging good young wine. Bright, citrus and pear, just a hint of grass, long and chalky. Classy. B+/A-

Asian accented red snapper, rice, sauteed shanghai tips (bok choy),
2001 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Vendange Tardive
This is sweeter than the 89/90 CFE VTs were, but it carries it well. Pit fruits, orange marmalade, a little bit of petrol. Rich and long. B+

A bunch of friends came to dinner Sunday- we started with lonza and pastourma, then my gravlax on pumpernickel, then hunters paella (rabbit, quail, duck) with broccoflower/Brussels sprouts, salad, cheese (Delice de Bourgogne and cheddar),.and dessert

NV Bremont €śCuvee Prestige€ť Brut Champagne
Another stellar bottle of this (in my cellar for either 6 or 10 years), full and rich but with neryy acid and fine mousse. Doughy bread aromas over white fruits, nice minerally finish. A-/B+

2016 Fraga do Corvo Godello
Minerally, seaspray, pit fruit and pear, very good. B+

1981 Beronia Rioja Gran Reserva
Balanced, mature, red fruit and a little vanilla/dill oak, fun if not exciting. B/B+

2015 Guimaro Finca Meixeman (Ribeira Sacra)
Exotic nose with smoke and spices, black raspberries, tangy and tasty. B+/A-

2012 CNVE €śImperial€ť Gran Reserva
Popped and pouted, and suffered for it. Some dark cherry fruit, but mostly just oak, not a ton of pleasure. B- this night

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.