Mat

Kieran Dyke wrote:

> "Mat" <Ask@me> wrote in message ...
>
>>Martin Field wrote:
>>
>>>"Ron Lel" > wrote in message
>>>
>>>BIG SNIP

>>>Couldn't agree more Ron. Too many of them are still
>>>reminiscent of brown-tinged dilute raspberry cordial -
>>>likely to cost $AUD30 plus on release and with tragically
>>>early use by dates.
>>>Cheers!
>>>Martin
>>>

>>I can relate to the raspberry cordial angle. Even some of the shiraz
>>I've had lately has been that way.
>>

> I get more of the blackcurrant cordial, occasionally mixed with toothpaste.
>
> Kieran

Haha, yes, ur right! It still has a rather peculiar thin, sweat, sticky
quality. Which to my mind would require shipping it out as a cleanskin,
and starting again. Or at least making some attempt to mask it. I have a
bad feeling that is the way it is being made deliberately.

Are we to expect this to become a trend in Oz wines? I really hope not.
Wine for the sweet, carbonated mixer generation maybe?

Ppl my age, and younger (mid-20's) are flocking to wine, spirit sales
are down approx 25%. Mixers are up (the ultra sweet, ultra fizzy
pre-mixed drinks), but wine is strong too. So why the panic to market to
generation now? More and more ppl I know are flocking to wine.

Once someone "gets into" wine, they tend to drink it a lot. I hardly
ever drink beer, or spirits these days (in fact I forget the last time I
bought a slab or a bottle of spirits). Nor do ppl I know who have been
converted. Wine is just so much more versatile (suits all tastes), and
obviously goes with food. And is good for you. The only time I wouldn't
drink wine would be at a non-BYO restaurant (I simply refuse to pay 4-6
times more for a bottle I could literally walk across the street and
buy), or at a nightclub.

I just hope the ppl in the industry with the power to avert this do just
that. We don't need marketting hype to ruin something else.