PENMART01

> Sheryl Rosen writes:
>
>I found a brand new cast-iron manual meat grinder in the "ethnic" aisle in
>my supermarket. It was displayed with those big aluminum "calderon" pots,
>the tostones presses, tortilla presses, coffee socks, etc.
>
>I didn't notice the brand, but it has a price of about $18.
>
>That seemed very reasonable--almost "too" inexpensive.
>
>I've been thinking about getting one of these for a long time. The price
>fits right into my budget but I'm afraid that something so cheap won't be
>well-made.
>
>I'm so wishing that I taken the one my Mom had in the drawer for years.
>Unfortunately, I did not take it when I first moved out of the house, I
>didn't know I wanted it back then! And it wound up in a box in the basement
>that got wet...became a rusted mess and I couldn't salvage it.
>
>I am uncomfortable buying one of these second hand, not knowing who used it
>before me and the cleanliness being questionable. Besides, the new ones are
>tinned (or otherwise coated) so they are less likely to rust, which I like.
>
>How much do these things go for? Is about $20 a great deal, or is that so
>cheap that the quality would be suspect?
>
>Have never bought one of these before, don't plan to buy more than one, so i
>want it to be a decently durable one.
>
>Thanks for you advice.

There's really no way to know without actually seeing it but at that $18 price
I seriously doubt it is even close to a quality hand meat grinder... and in
fact may not be a meat grinder at all... often the type of grinders sold at
Latino markets are specifically for grinding corn and other grains. I were you
I'd invest in an electric grinder, it'll probably last you the rest of your
life, and since it will work so effortlessly and flawlessly you'll actually use
it.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon