zxcvbob

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> I found a brand new cast-iron manual meat grinder in the "ethnic" aisle in
> my supermarket. It was displayed with those big aluminum "calderon" pots,
> the tostones presses, tortilla presses, coffee socks, etc.
>
> I didn't notice the brand, but it has a price of about $18.
>
> That seemed very reasonable--almost "too" inexpensive.
>
> I've been thinking about getting one of these for a long time. The price
> fits right into my budget but I'm afraid that something so cheap won't be
> well-made.
>
> I'm so wishing that I taken the one my Mom had in the drawer for years.
> Unfortunately, I did not take it when I first moved out of the house, I
> didn't know I wanted it back then! And it wound up in a box in the basement
> that got wet...became a rusted mess and I couldn't salvage it.
>
> I am uncomfortable buying one of these second hand, not knowing who used it
> before me and the cleanliness being questionable. Besides, the new ones are
> tinned (or otherwise coated) so they are less likely to rust, which I like.
>
> How much do these things go for? Is about $20 a great deal, or is that so
> cheap that the quality would be suspect?
>
> Have never bought one of these before, don't plan to buy more than one, so i
> want it to be a decently durable one.
>
> Thanks for you advice.

What markings does it have on it? Is it tin-plated, or chromed?

Hopefully it's not a "Universal #2 Food Chopper". (I bought one out of
curiosity, and it's worthless.)

You want a #10 or a #12. Number 8 is OK, but #5 is too small. Anything
smaller will be a non-standard size and you won't be able to get knives
and plates for it, plus anything smaller will be pitifully slow.

Do you still have the rusty old one, or did you throw it out?

Bob