Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default TN: Burgs, Tuscan, Nahe, Campania, Loire

I made poulet bonne femme, cauliflower, salad, and opened the 2010 Matrot €śLes Combettes€ť Puligny-Montrachet 1er. Matrot used to be one of the white Burg producers I bought regularly, but stopped due to poor PremOx record. But saw this on closeout shelf and took a chance. I was a little worried by deep gold color, but wine was fine, and drank well over two nights. Pit fruit, blossoms, some light vanillin oak, very good acids, good length. B+/A-

Friday was spaghetti and meatballs, broccoli, and the 2009 Felsina Fontalloro. Young, somewhat tannic, but with a good acidic spine, dried cherry, saddle leather. Tasty but for my tastes needs some time. B for now

Ruby and I were invited for dinner at friends. Their dog made a brief escape, but everyone then settled in for a nice dinner. Appetizers were radish and daikon slices with hummus or marinated goat cheese, spalla, carne salada, then we sat for Grilled swordfish, spinach, potatoes, and salad

2015 Jadot €śCailleret€ť Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Others liked but I was a bit disappointed at this. Fat, some unintegrated oak, tropical fruit, a faint sense of heat. I think I would have liked this picked a little earlier. B-

2016 Donnachiara Greco di Tufo
Green apple, anise, a little wooly note. Good balance, good qpr B

When I got home, the 2004 Donnhoff Niederhauser Hermannshohle Spatlese Riesling. This is still pretty young, takes a while to uncoil, lovely balanced Spatlese, does not drink like trying to be Auslese, cool mineral notes under citrus fruit, ginger accents. A-

Roast striped bass, cumin carrots, and assorted leftovers, and the 2013 Ch Yvonne €śLe Gory€ť Saumur blanc. Very full bodied, I went back and forth on this, I really wanted to like it. But while there is good apple fruit, some typical Chenin waxy/wooly notes, theres a heaviness/stodginess that I cant get past (oak?). Apples and Calvados, vanilla and coconut. B-