Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Chateauneuf du Pape at Nice Matin NYC

On 11/14/19 4:09 PM, DaleW wrote:

> 2006 Clos des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
> Im not a white Rhone fan but I dont think even a Roussanne/Marsanne fanatic would find this enjoyable. Volatile/chemical nose, I said I have household cleaners that smell better. Better on the palate, but what wouldnt be? Hot and volatile, with bitter edge to the fruit. But it got better, started as a D, became a C-

Wow. I'm not a big CdP blanc fan, either, but this sounds off in a
serious way.

> 1995 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
> Sturdy rather than flashy, but nice black fruit, smoke, garrigue. Some tannin left, held up well. B/B+

I opened a bottle of this not so long ago, but mine was compromised by
TCA. It was a shame, because there was a very nice wine evident beneath
the maderization.

> 1998 Pegau Cuvee Reservee Chateauneuf-du-Pape
> Ripe, a little barnyard, earth, I liked but others loved. B+/B

Yeah, not my favorite vintage of Pegau. I drank all mine up a few years
ago and there was a palpable sense of ripeness to them.

> 2000 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
> This actually seemed riper than the "03 Pegau, fully mature, a touch hot, with fruit beginning to edge towards pruney and a lack of acid. B-

2000 as a year was too low in acid IMO. I drank mine up (or traded them
away).

Lots of nice wines there, Dale, including a few (Rayas, Perrin) that I
don't usually see. Thanks for the notes!

Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: RIP cwdjrx