Old 14-11-2019, 09:09 PM posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default TN: Chateauneuf du Pape at Nice Matin NYC

nice group gathered Wednesday night at Nice Matin for Chateauneuf-du-Pape night. Great to see a bunch of friends, some of whom I hadnt seen in a couple of years. Nice table, nice service, nice stemware, Nice Matin. There was a nice cauliflower soup amuse, I started with escargots and had a main of duck, escarole, and sweet potato.

2006 Clos des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape Blanc
Im not a white Rhone fan but I dont think even a Roussanne/Marsanne fanatic would find this enjoyable. Volatile/chemical nose, I said I have household cleaners that smell better. Better on the palate, but what wouldnt be? Hot and volatile, with bitter edge to the fruit. But it got better, started as a D, became a C-

1983 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Some thought this past it, but I found enjoyable. Red fruit, pepper and spice, light on texture, high acids. I thought mature but not tired, though not especially Rhonish. One person said it reminded him of mature Rioja, and Id agree, but I like mature Rioja. B/B+

1990 Clos des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Red and black fruit, smoked meat and herbs, full bodied and drinking well. A-/B+

1995 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Sturdy rather than flashy, but nice black fruit, smoke, garrigue. Some tannin left, held up well. B/B+

1998 Pegau Cuvee Reservee Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Ripe, a little barnyard, earth, I liked but others loved. B+/B

1999 Beaucastel Hommage a Jacques Perrin Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Wine of the night for me. Unlike some prestige cuvee CdPs this is not about €śmore, one of the more perfectly balanced southern Rhones Ive run across. Black cherries, cassis, a pleasant earthy funk, smoked meat. Nice length. A-

2001 Rayas Pignan Reserve Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Most divisive wine of the night, I was on pro side. Lots of herby/stemmy notes which others didnt like but I found added complexity, red fruited, elegant for CdP.. B+/A-

2003 Pegau Cuvee Reservee Chateauneuf-du-Pape
I thought this was surprisingly well balanced for 2003, its big and ripe but not excessively roasted or hot. Some exotic sandalwoody aromas on solid fruit. B/B+

2000 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
This actually seemed riper than the "03 Pegau, fully mature, a touch hot, with fruit beginning to edge towards pruney and a lack of acid. B-

Very fun night, I liked almost all the wines, I liked all the people!