Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default SOUP'S ON!

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 11:53:03 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Looks more like porridge. Way too much barley and not enough other
>> stuff for me.

>Seriously. I would call that simply barley soup. Hopefully he
>seasoned the RO water first.
>
>Looks more like a bowl of oatmeal using barley instead.
>
>Looks good but I wouldn't call that vegetable beef barley soup.

I didn't say it was *vegetable* beef barley... it's beef barley
'shroom. Mushrooms are NOT vegetables, they're fungi. I added one
diced sweet onion and some diced celery for flavor and some diced
carrot for color. I had two big bowls today for lunch, very flavorful
and filling.
When roasts are on sale I often buy large ones. they turn out better
as roasts amd what's left over becomes soups, stews, or something.
With this one I was thinking tomato vegetable beef because I have
tomatoes and veggies from the garden but last minute I decided on beef
barley 'shroom. There has to be about ten pounds of green beans in
the basement fridge but I didn't feel like trimming them, another time
for something else, or they can end up going to the golf course
restaurant. They pay us back, last week two guys cam over with a
large excavator and yanked out seven large tree stumps plus two large
boulders from our meadow that I never could have dug out. I'm very
happy that those boulders are gone. I didn't realize that they were so
huge, their large excavator could barely lift them. I had them well
marked but got tired of mowing around them... only about six inches
was sticking up and I tried to dig them up with a shovel and even with
the bucket on my tractor but no luck and now I know why, those
boulders are about six feet in diameter, they have to weigh over three
tons each, It's good to be friendly with one's neighors.