Posted to rec.food.baking
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default Ultimate Cornbread recipe

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 12:41:10 +0100, Peter Flynn >
wrote:

>On 11/06/2019 23:44, Peter Flynn wrote:
>[...]
>>> 1 Cup Cornmeal

>> This I must hunt for. It's non-native, but I think my spice merchant
>> sells it.

>1. Before I launch into this, Cornmeal isn't the same as Cornflour,
> right? We use cornflour for thickening, not baking.

Cornmeal is different- sort of like polenta when it is coarse ground
cornmeal, but generally a finer grind is thought of when one mentions
cornmeal.

What you describe as cornflour, we refer to as cornstarch, and yes, we
use it for thickening, too.

>>> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
>>> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda

>> Baking powder *and* baking soda? I have some Clabber Girl double-acting
>> BP that I brought back a few trips ago. Would I need baking soda as well
>> if I used this?

>2. Can anyone clarify? I have just seen another recipe which calls for
> both and I'm puzzled.

Not uncommon for a recipe such as this to call for both.

>>> 1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly preferable) or regular Milk

>> Buttermilk it shall be.

>3. Is this buttermilk as in the liquid left over after making butter, or
> the commercially-cultured stuff (which I don't think we have).

These days, we think of it as the commercially cultured version. If
you cannot find that you "can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or
lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let stand
for 5 minutes. You can also use 1 cup of plain yogurt or 1-3/4
teaspoons cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk."

The above is from:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...lk-substitute/