Old 26-09-2019, 04:44 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default Ultimate Cornbread recipe

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 12:41:10 +0100, Peter Flynn
wrote:

On 11/06/2019 23:44, Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
1 Cup Cornmeal

This I must hunt for. It's non-native, but I think my spice merchant
sells it.

1. Before I launch into this, Cornmeal isn't the same as Cornflour,
right? We use cornflour for thickening, not baking.

Cornmeal is different- sort of like polenta when it is coarse ground
cornmeal, but generally a finer grind is thought of when one mentions
cornmeal.

What you describe as cornflour, we refer to as cornstarch, and yes, we
use it for thickening, too.

1 Tbs. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Baking Soda

Baking powder *and* baking soda? I have some Clabber Girl double-acting
BP that I brought back a few trips ago. Would I need baking soda as well
if I used this?

2. Can anyone clarify? I have just seen another recipe which calls for
both and I'm puzzled.

Not uncommon for a recipe such as this to call for both.

1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly preferable) or regular Milk

Buttermilk it shall be.

3. Is this buttermilk as in the liquid left over after making butter, or
the commercially-cultured stuff (which I don't think we have).

These days, we think of it as the commercially cultured version. If
you cannot find that you "can use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or
lemon juice plus enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir, then let stand
for 5 minutes. You can also use 1 cup of plain yogurt or 1-3/4
teaspoons cream of tartar plus 1 cup milk."

The above is from:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...lk-substitute/